The Westman Palace was established by the master brewer Abraham Lorenzon Westman Jr, who lived between the years 1753-1802. He had the house built for his family and the building was established in 1799-1800. The architect was Carl Christoffer Gjörwell Jr.
The house played an important role in Swedish history in the early 19th century when Sweden was ruled by Lieutenant Colonel Georg Adlersparre after Gustav IV Adolf was deprived from the throne in the coup of 1809. The house was also a central point for Stockholms society at that time.
The Westman House was purchased by the Royal Academy of Sciences in 1828 and was used as an exhibition for the so-called Natural History Collection from 1831. The collection would form the basis of today’s Natural History Museum and consisted of a huge collection of stuffed animals from all corners of the world.
In the early 1900s (1916), the building was bought by the state and the entire neighborhood was rebuilt. The Westman Building housed offices and teaching facilities for, among others, the Dentistry. In 1923 the Royal Medicines Agency also moved with the Swedish National Prison Board into the house.
Today, the building is managed by Vasakronan and houses offices and conference rooms and Restaurant Westman.
The conference center is run by Westmans Event & Konferens AB, which is a privately owned company and has managed the facility since January 2016. The conference and restaurant (Restaurang Westman AB) are both under the same management team.